When it comes to shelf-styling, it becomes quite a challenge to fit in existing pieces, while still making the space feel new and exciting.
Here are some tricks to help you become a master shelf-stylist (or reach out to us for help: myclavis.ca/contact-us)!
- Find items that compliment existing pieces to highlight their qualities, whether they are antique or personal. These items you will want to be in eye-line to give them the attention they deserve.
- Before you begin, DE-CLUTTER! Old items that sit and bulk up the shelf without intent or purpose will make the space feel cluttered. Make room for the treasured pieces that may be sitting in storage.
- Books are a great way to style shelves. When adding books to shelves, however, it is best to stick to a consistent colour theme for the binding of the book. Also, same size books are helpful to create a cohesive look while stacked, and a range of book sizes are best when placed vertically.
- Always place the heavier items towards the bottom, such as vases or sculptures, as it will help to ground the room! Add dried flowers or eucalyptus to make the space feel bright and welcoming. Plants are always a welcome addition to help bring life to any space! Succulents, peace lilies and pothos are all great shelf plants.
- Layers. Layers. Layers! Items should be grouped in 2-3 pieces, with the larger items towards the back of the shelf and stationed together. Geometric shapes can be used in different areas of the shelf to help tie the look together and create an intriguing composition.
- It is best to stick to one metal accent choice, such as gold or silver. This aids the direction of the eye when walking past shelves, or when occupying the space, if the shelves are beside a television, per se.
- Lastly, it is important to style the shelf in a diamond or pyramid shape. Place 1-2 items on the top, keep the bulk of the styling in the middle area and towards the bottom, make it simple and grounding. Black accents mixed within white accents will always add a sense of depth and character.
- Have fun with it! Styling can always be added to or adjusted. It is best to take your time and choose pieces wisely!